APA102 LED strip on an ATMEGA328p


Having seen the work done by cpldcpu on the APA102 LED chipset, I thought I’d test out some of my strips using his code on an ATMEGA328p. A quick project using his driver routines with a HSV/RGB Converter class proved a success.


AVR Studio 6.2 C++ project available after the break.


Next Project – Away with the fairies!


I was pretty pleased with how my last project turned out, so I’ve started working on another idea with a different friend, for her to wear to another party in late Jan. I’m glad to have a little more time on this one, because it’s looking like it will be a little more complex! The image below is the result of a few hours of brainstorming in SketchUp, and will also be one of the few electro-mechanical projects that I have done.

Some people have a passion for a certain something. Mine is building things. My friend’s passion is fairies… It’s an odd set to combine, but I think I can come up with something pretty cool here. She want’s a set of fairy wings to take to this party. Sure, you can buy wings from costume shops, but that’s no fun! I want to design something a bit more special then that! So, I sat down and thought of what would give that special something to the design.

I like LED lighting, so there will definitely be some of that involved. I had originally planned to use EL wire, for it’s unique appearance, but I got tired of looking for small-footprint solutions for reliably powering the EL strings. Besides, it’s somewhat fixed in it’s colour output, and that can be quite restrictive! I’ll explain what I’m using instead later on.

That’s not the final touch though. Shortly after the lighting, I got to thinking, can I get these wings moving? What you see above is the base of that idea. Using a couple of RC servos, and some ball bearings, it should be possible! I’m going to be working on finalizing the design over Christmas, which will leave me most of January to order and build.

I’ll be keeping track of the work here, so check back for more updates!


Star of the Ball – Results


 My friend rocking the finished dress. I didn’t manage to get many photos myself, and I’m still waiting to see others from the ball, so this will have to do for now. It looks a lot more purple in the photos, I think there’s a fair amount of UV light coming out of the blue LED elements.  I’ll stick more photos up when they arrive!

ATTINY2313 and vUSB


I have a university project going on at the moment, where the main goal is to learn something new, that hasn’t been, and won’t be, covered by our course material. Not too hard, given that my university is still pitching assembler for PIC’s as new and interesting. The module asks that we undertake a project, whereby we learn some new skills, and deliver an output that demonstrates them.

I’ve set out to get my head around the vUSB stack, and design a USB interfaced, 1-wire temperature sensor stick. Now so far I’ve only been used to serial communications, either over a RS232-TTL <-> USB interface, or using the on-board USB controller on the Arudino Leonardo. Reading and writing bytes directly to serial ports is a pretty easy system. USB adds a lot of overhead to that, but it’s too useful of a tool to pass up learning.

I’ve been following the well-doccumented vUSB tutorials from CodeAndLife, and I’ve managed to get a command-line controlled LED working (though you do have to read everything. Keep an eye out for the makefile for the command line exe!). Next up will be getting the DS1820 working, and modifying the LED switch code to handle data transfer. Watch this spot! Below is the hardware I’ve been using, it’s pretty damn simple! A few things to note are the 3V3 TO-92 regulator (USB speaks 3V3!), and the series + pull-up resistors on the USB connections, though they are barely visible in this photo!

ATTINY 2313 vUSB Stick

Go to Top

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.